top banner

Our History

 

 

 

The Original Village Funeral Home

 

The Village Funeral Home is rich in Ortonville history.  The original structure, set on the banks of Kearsley Creek, was a residence built approximately in the 1870’s.  It was converted to a funeral home by Charles “Charlie” and his wife Dorothy Sherman when Charlie returned from WWII.  Charlie was a lifelong resident of Ortonville and the village’s funeral director for many years.  He also served as a Village President and Council Member.

 

In 1980 Robert and Barbara Wilk bought the Funeral Home and, after doing extensive remodeling, changed the name to the Sherman Wilk Funeral Home

 

In August of 2008, Heather Coats along with Roy Langolf purchased Sherman Wilk Funeral Home and once again, after doing extensive remodeling, changed the name to Coats Village Funeral Home.  A 1981 graduate of Wayne State University Mortuary Science program, Roy Langolf, was a dedicated licensed funeral director with Coats Funeral Homes for 21 years.  He moved in to the Ortonville residence above the funeral home and has served as Managing Director of the funeral home since the 2008 ownership change. 

 

Transition has begun for Roy Langolf’s sole ownership of the business.   The name has been changed to Village Funeral Home.  Roy continues to reside above the funeral home, serving the community in numerous capacities along with continuing the tradition of the being the village’s local funeral director.

 

Our quaint, Victorian style home offers a cozy, intimate setting with traditional decor that blends well with the Ortonville community.  Our 4,000 square-foot facility offers two chapels and a comfortable lounge for families.  Along with a barrier-free entrance, the interior is accessible for wheel-chairs and walkers.

 

It is common in Ortonville, Michigan, that when someone passes away, a good portion of the community attends the funeral. This kind of community togetherness is reminiscent of the Village Funeral Home philosophy.